asparagus recipesbacon recipesBreakfasteasy breakfast recipeseasy egg breakfast recipesfoodpaleopaleo recipesThe Lazy Girl Tries To Cook
The Lazy Girl Tries To Cook: One-Pan Crispy Bacon and Roasted Asparagus with Baked EggsFriday, January 16, 2015
I've always loved a great, hearty breakfast. Growing up, I've been used to including bread or rice (specifically garlic rice) to my early morning meals, whatever dish is served; and that rice always seemed to make eating more satisfying. But since last year, I've been trying to consistently lose weight and maintain it, and I realized rice would be one of the things I need to give up (yep, Paleo.) I found the original recipe in Simple Bites (tweaked it a bit to what's available in our pantry), made 2 batches and served it to my family. They really loved it! So I decided to include it in my weekly food plan.
This is probably the easiest recipe I've done. A no-fuss, throw-in-one-pan breakfast idea that I'm sure everyone would enjoy and ask for more. And doesn't it just sound and look pretty?
4-6 rashers/strips of bacon
12-15 asparagus spears (about 350 grams)
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest (original recipe included this but I didn't had one on hand when I made this)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
cheddar cheese (optional)
1. Wash asparagus thoroughly, as they may be gritty, and use a vegetable peeler to remove the bottom 2/3 of peel.
2. In a 9 x 13 roasting pan or Pyrex, lay the rashers of bacon. Place in the oven (I used a microwave) and cook for about 8 minutes or until crispy.
3. Remove pan from oven and carefully transfer the bacon to a paper towel. Drain off most of the bacon fat, leaving about a tablespoon in the pan.
4. Add the asparagus to the same pan and shake it around gently to coat the vegetables in grease. Arrange asparagus in a single layer and sprinkle it with lemon zest, thyme leaves and pepper.
5. Roast asparagus for about 6-7 minutes or until it begins to soften. Remove pan from the oven and gently crack the 2 eggs on top of the asparagus. Return the dish to the oven and roast another 3-4 minutes or until eggs have reached the desired doneness. Return bacon to the pan.
6. Sprinkle some crumbled cheese on top. Return to oven and cook for a minute or until the cheese melts.